Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN) is an agency of the Federal Ministry of Education. It was established by the TRCN Decree N0. 31 of 1993 (now TRCN Act CAP T3 of 2004) with the major mandate of regulation and control of the Teaching Profession at all levels of the Nigerian Education System, both in the public and private sectors.
Several decades of agitation by professional teachers and other stakeholders for the establishment of a regulatory agency led to the enactment of the Act.
The Act in section 1(1) charged The Council with the following responsibilities:
- Determining who are teachers for the purpose of this Act.
- Determining what standards pf knowledge and skills are to be attained by persons seeking to become registered as teachers under this Act and raising those standards from time to time as circumstances may permit.
- Securing in accordance with the provision of this Act the establishment and maintenance of a register of teachers and the publication from time to time of the list of those persons.
- Regulating and controlling the teaching profession in all its aspects and ramifications.
- Classifying from time to time members of the teaching profession according to their level of training and qualification.
- Performing through the Council established under this Act the functions confered on it by this Act.